Microsoft released Windows 10 Redstone 4 ISO image to download for build 17115 to replace build 17025 as the current image. This update has a number of new features, a number of general bug fixes & minor improvements including the long-delayed Timeline, HDR support, improved DPI support and major changes to the privacy settings. Read more here.
The new design is more modern and fluid, using semis-transparency to add layers to the user interface. Elsewhere, Microsoft Edge is widely-tipped to gain more touchpad gestures, design improvements and improved support for eBooks.
This update comes with the following features:
Table of Contents
- Fluent Design reveal effects have been softened
- Fluent Design Acrylic and Reveal effects are now showcased in more areas of the Shell.
- The Start menu now features Fluent Design “reveal” effects in tiles and the apps list.
- The “clear all”, “expand”, “collapse” and “see more” text in the Action Center now uses your chosen accent color.
- You can now use a two finger swipe gesture to dismiss all notifications in the Action Center.
- Windows will now show you your personalized lock screen when selecting your account on the login page.
- The Calendar fly-out on the taskbar now features reveal effects.
- Contacts pinned to the taskbar now show a list of connected apps rather than tiles.
- The Taskbar now features the Acrylic blur effect.
- Action Center notifications now feature Fluent Design reveal effects.
- The “clear all” text in Action Center now says “clear all notifications” instead.
- Nearby Share is now present in the Share UI and lets you share content between nearby devices.
- Right-clicking a live tile will give you the option of jumping straight into that apps Settings.
- Task View now includes Timeline that allows you to go back and resume apps you had open in the past up to 30 days.
- Virtual Desktops has moved to the top of the Task View UI.
- Fluent Design effects will be disabled when in battery saver mode.
- The My People Hub now features Reveal and Acrylic effects.
- You can now drag to reposition contacts pinned to the Taskbar.
- You can now drag contacts between the Taskbar and the My People Hub.
- Quiet Hours has been renamed as Focus Assist and has been updated with new features.
- Documents and Pictures are now listed in the Start menu hamburger menu by default.
- On devices with Windows Hello support, users can now set up Hello directly from the login screen.
- The Xbox Gamebar has been updated with a new Fluent design UI.
- Users on Windows 10 S can now use the Microsoft Authenticator app to log in to their PC.
- Eye Control has been updated with more functions in the eyebar.
- You can now mute audio coming from a specific tab.
- Edge now has the ability to save free EPUB books.
- Edge will now automatically fill out preferred information in an address and related forms.
- The Edge UI now features an improved UI with Fluent Design reveal effects and more prominent Acrylic title bar.
- The EPUB and PDF bookmarks UI has been updated.
- The book and PDF reader has been updated with a new UI, including new dark and light modes.
- Reading progress within books and PDF documents will roam faster across devices.
- Edge now supports Service Workers that allows websites to send notifications and refresh in the background even when Edge is closed.
- The Hub has been redesigned with a new hamburger menu and larger slide-out panel.
- The favorites bar will now automatically show on the Start or New Tab pages, just like in other web browsers.
- Extensions can now be used when InPrivate browsing is enabled.
- You can now vertically dock the Edge DevTools panel.
- Cortana now has a new Lists/Collections app that allows you to create Lists that sync across devices with Cortana.
- Cortana’s proactive content will now appear in the Action Center.
- Cortana is now better at alerting you to apps that you can pick up where you left off.
- Cortana now features a new Notebook UI that better promotes things like Skills, Lists and more.
- The user’s profile picture is now showcased in Cortana’s hamburger menu.
- Touch keyboard now features Fluent Design.
- Physical keyboard users now have the option to enable an on-screen text suggestions function.
- The wide virtual keyboard now features shape-writing.
- New gestures when writing with a pen are now present in the pen insert field.
- You can now insert more than one emoji at once when using the emoji panel.
- You can now change the font used in the handwriting panel.
- The emoji panel now supports more languages.
- Pen users will now see a handwriting panel automatically popup when selecting a text field.
- Some emoji have been updated with a new look.
- Settings now feature a new redesign with Reveal effects and Acrylic blur.
- You can now configure Startup apps in Settings.
- There is now a color wheel in the Ease of Access area.
- Ease of Access has been categorized into subcategories in the sidebar and reorganized.
- Sound settings are now present in the Settings app.
- Storage Sense now includes Disk Cleanup settings and functions.
- Font settings are now available in Settings.
- Users can now limit download bandwidth for updates in the foreground.
- You can now manage what data is stored on Timeline.
- You can now adjust how bright SDR content appears when using an HDR monitor.
- Windows Update will now place an update icon in the System Tray when there is an update pending.
- You can now customize the number of contacts that can be pinned to the Taskbar up to 10.
- Users can now recover local accounts from the lock screen.
- More Control Panel elements such as Fonts, Display, Sound, and more have now been moved into Settings.
- There is now a new Keyboards area located in Settings.
- Language Packs are now powered by the Microsoft Store and feature a new install UI.
- HomeGroup has been removed.
- You can now customize what apps send notifications when Focus Assist is on, and can also schedule a time for it to automatically enable and disable.
- Some Bluetooth peripherals can now be paired with one click.
- Windows Update will now prevent a PC on AC power from going to sleep if there is an update pending in the last two hours.
You can download the Redstone 4 by registering here.